So you made it to this post…which probably means you want to learn a bit more about essential oils. Way to go! You are now starting (or continuing) on a life-long journey in learning about, experimenting with, and hopefully actually experiencing essential oils to help protect yourself and your family.
This is a bit of a lengthy post, so sit back, relax and enjoy learning a little about essential oils!
What better way for you to show your family that you love them, than by learning how to protect them naturally? Let me just say that Essential oils are my very favorite way to keep my family healthy, and we have been using them faithfully for over 10 years. We use them to help us with emotional issues and physical ailments, but also for their beautiful and unique aromas!
Over the years I have learned a few things about essential oils and I am going to share what I’ve learned with you, a little at a time of course! I think the key to learning about essential oils is learning about them in baby steps. If we try to learn to quickly, we will most likely feel overwhelmed and not know where to start.
This post will cover the basics about essential oils: what they are and how to use them. There will be lots of other posts about specific essential oils in the future, so look for those also.
===> Here is a bonus PDF guide I created that you can print out and refer back to if you should ever need to: BeginnersGuidetoEOs (2) … Enjoy!
What are essential oils, and how can they help my family?
Essential oils are natural aromatic compounds found in different parts of many plants, including the seeds, bark, flowers, leaves, stems, fruit and roots.
- They are considered the “life blood” of the plant and contain complex & life-sustaining healing properties.
- Essential oils have been revered for both their fragrance and their restorative, healing effects on the body, mind and spirit for thousands of years.
- Their naturally pure fragrances have been used for centuries in cosmetics and perfumes.
- Essential oils are up to 70 times more powerful than dried herbs and can be used in a variety of ways. It only takes about 20 seconds for them to get absorbed into your blood stream!
- They can help bring balance to our bodies, strengthen our immune systems, provide a safer environment in our homes, and improve our attitudes.
- Essential oils provide safe and powerful health benefits without side effects, unlike synthetic drugs.
- “Touch” in itself is very healing. Applying essential oils to your family can bond you closer together.
*I want to note right here that not all essential oils are created equal! You should do your homework when deciding which brand of essential oils will be best for you. You’ll want to find the purest oils, because those will have the most health benefits. DoTERRA is the brand of essential oils I use, and you can read more about their amazing products here. I am happy to talk with you more about them if you’d like to contact me! 🙂
Essential Oil Basics and Precautions
- Let the oil drop out of the bottle (touching the dropper will contaminate the oil).
- Keep bottles out of direct sunlight and away from heat. Don’t leave them in the car on a hot day!
- Use oils internally only if the bottle has a “supplement box.”
- Do not put oils in eyes or directly in ears or nose.
- If an area of skin gets irritated, put coconut or olive oil on it. It will take away the burn. Do not try to relieve irritation with water – it will only make it burn worse!
- Remember when it comes to essential oils, LESS IS MORE. They are highly concentrated; therefore only a few drops will usually do the trick.
- You can use essential oils as often as necessary. If one oil doesn’t work for you, try a different one!
How do I use Essential oils?
Therapeutic-grade essential oils are a natural healthcare alternative, which puts you in charge of your family’s health. I use these essential oils everyday! Here are are few ways to experience them:
- Add several drops to a glass spray bottle filled with water and spritz into the air.
- Put a few drops on a cotton ball, place in an airtight container and smell periodically.
- Just inhale straight from the bottle!
- Use in a room-temperature diffuser made specifically for use with essential oils. (Do not heat essential oils, as that reduces their therapeutic benefits.) There are many available on Amazon around $20.
- Put a few drops on your wool dryer balls for fresh-smelling laundry.
- Rub a couple drops into your palms, cup around your mouth and nose, and inhale.
- Put a few drops on your diffuser jewelry for hours of subtle scent! (Wear on leather cords or lava beads. Plus, they’re so beautiful!)
- Rub a couple drops of essential oils on the bottoms of the feet for fastest topical absorption. (You should dilute essential oils with coconut or olive oil when applying to babies.)
- Apply directly to skin (a typical application is 2-4 drops). Adding a moist heat compress increases absorption up to 100 times!
- On sensitive skin or on children, apply coconut or olive oil before using hot or cool, tingly oils (such as oregano, cinnamon, clove, thyme, peppermint, or wintergreen).
- Dilute about 20 drops essential oil in 1 oz pure coconut oil for massage. Massaging and stroking increases absorption as it dilates the vessels.
- Add a few drops to warm water or bath salts for a soothing, stress-relieving bath. This helps because stress actually reduces absorption.
- Dilute with coconut oil and put in a glass roller bottle and use as a perfume.
- Put a drop or two under the tongue for fastest internal absorption.
- Add a couple drops to drinking water or juice, or warm up a cup of water and add essential oils and honey for a soothing tea.
- Add to your favorite recipes.
- Put a few drops in vegetable capsules.
- Dilute with milk or a teaspoon of honey to lighten the taste a bit.
- For young children, try adding oils to a “simple syrup” of raw sugar or honey mixed with warm water. This makes it taste much better! This is actually the only way I could get my little ones to swallow the oils. (I would put this mixture in a small glass spray bottle and let my little ones spray into their mouths. They loved being in charge and I think it made them feel a little bit empowered!)
SO…that was a lot to take in, right? If you feel a bit overwhelmed, don’t worry. It’s a learning process and if you take your time to learn the basics, the rest will start to flow. Stay tuned for some more essential oil info!